Saturday, May 23, 2009

How I Tried to Improve My Golf Swing

GOLF SWING

How to improve my golf swing, has been a lifelong journey for me. I would like to share part of that journey with you, my fellow amateur golfers. My hope is, that by reading about one of the methods I used to try and improve my golf swing, you will gain some incite on how to go about improving your own golf swing.

When I first started out to try and learn the game of golf, way too many years ago to mention, the resources available at the time were very limited. Anyone with money could join a private golf club and pay for private lessons from a golf professional. That of course would have been the best way to go about acquiring a decent golf swing.

Like most of you, and other young hackers just starting out, I did not possess the monetary resources to join a country club or pay for pro golf instruction. So, I did the next best thing. I took professional golf lessons by osmosis. Books.

Golf instruction books were available, and they were cheap, especially in paperback. Every golf professional who has ever had an inkling of success has written a golf instruction book. This is both good and bad.

If there had been a golf book, book of the month club, I would have belonged. I bought every golf instruction book I could get my hands on. I no sooner finished reading one and I was off to buy another. I bought books by all the famous golfers, and some not so famous ones too.

Talk about information overload. I learned everything I ever wanted to know about golf, and a lot of things I didn't ever need to know in the first place.

The thing about the golf swing is that there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what the basic swing is supposed to be like. Everyone of the professionals instructs from their own perspective, based on what had worked for them and how they were taught and developed.

From the grip, to the back swing, and follow thru, all the way down to putting, they all seem to have varying philosophies and techniques. Talk about mass confusion for a rank amateur.

Through all this reading the method I decided to use to improve my golf swing, was to stay totally focused on the fundamentals of the golf swing.

These being the grip, stance, back swing and forward swing. Through a great deal of trial and error and practice I was able to accomplish my goals.

I felt by concentrating on these primary areas I could move on to other areas once I had these mastered.

Even though this worked for me., the point is that we are all different, and what works for one golfer may not necessarily work for another. We all have different body types, mental abilities, and varying degrees of athleticism.

Since the early days of trying to improve my golf swing, I have used many different methods to improve my swing. Although the first method I used to improve my golf swing was reading books, and then focusing on the fundamentals, this may not be the method you should choose.

If you want to improve your golf swing I believe you should take a look at all the methods available to you.

Take into consideration the following points:

  1. What method of instruction works best for you. For instance, reading, video, audio
  2. Seek out that type of instruction
  3. Decide what area of the swing to focus on
  4. Stick with one source for your instruction, and remain focused.

None of us will ever have a perfect golf swing. For many of us the enjoyment is in the journey along the road to improving our golf swing. My wish is that you will now be able to better enjoy your own quest to your new and better golf swing.

If you would like to add further enjoyment to your golf game, then improvement of your golf swing can add tons of fun to your game. Visit our Squidoo lens for some more excellent free advice on improving your golf swing.

http://www.squidoo.com/improve-my-golfswing

No comments:

Post a Comment